By Jim Roddy, VP of Marketing, RSPA
Herman Pool has worn many hats during his lifetime: entrepreneur, managed services provider, father (now grandfather), and marketing guru among them. Later this year he will add one more title to that list – author – and so he shared highlights from his soon-to-be-published book One Hour Marketing on stage at today’s ASCII Success Summit in Milwaukee.
I’ve seen Pool, the president of Vertical Axion Marketing Services, speak at past ASCII events, and I appreciate how he speaks in specifics. He starts with a little bit of marketing theory, just enough to get everyone on the same page, before dousing solutions providers with specifics to help their marketing efforts.
Pool summarized how a VAR or MSP can plan their marketing in just five easy-to-answer questions:
- What offering will you promote?
- Who do you want to take action?
- What action do you want them to take?
- What does the offering help customers avoid?
- What tools will you use to carry out your marketing?
Pool then followed up those questions with a specific example that connects the dots for solutions providers, even if they’re a novice marketer:
- What offering will you promote? Backup and Disaster Recovery (BDR)
- Who do you want to take action? Existing clients who lack a BDR plan
- What action do you want them to take? Schedule a data loss risk assessment
- What does the offering help customers avoid? Avoid losing clients or maybe their entire business due to data loss
- What tools will you use to carry out your marketing? Postcards, risk assessment e-book, landing page, call script
Pool then focused on one more key question that stumps many solutions providers when it comes to marketing: Who has time to do all of this?
Pool recommended that MSPs partner with marketing experts who will have time to execute the marketing plan – provide the actions behind the answers to the five questions. “You need to ask yourself, while I may have the ability to do it all myself, does it make sense?” Pool said.
I couldn’t keep pace with the volume of info Pool provided, so I was glad he offered the nearly 100 solutions providers in attendance (and readers of this article) a link to a free chapter of his new book: www.VerticalAxion.com/freechapter
Business Solutions has published several articles based on Pool’s talks at past ASCII conferences. Here are links to those presentations plus a webinar Pool co-produced with Business Solutions last year:
The ASCII Success Summit – Milwaukee is being held April 27-28 at the Crowne Plaza Milwaukee Airport. It is one of nine solution provider-focused conferences ASCII will host in North America in 2016. For more information on ASCII, go to www.BSMinfo.com/go/InsideASCII.